Inspiration for this cartoon came from:
- Will Ferrell as George Bush delivering a “special announcement on global warming” (best part of the vid starts at 1:40)
- The 11th Hour (similar to An Inconvenient Truth, but with Leo DiCaprio instead of Al Gore), which debuted at the Cannes Film Fest earlier that year
- A talk at a nature conservancy and research facility in Jackson Hole, Wyoming about the effects of climate change on the local ecosystem and its predicted effects on the rest of the world (including water wars in the Middle East)
It felt good to see this particular cartoon in print because I’d been wanting to do something on the topic for a while, and it was refreshing to address a non-campus-specific issue for a change.
(Fine — it was also fun to draw Dubya’s cowboy pajamas.)
This is a scan of the original drawing prior to publication. More about my stint at the DP here.
Note: In retrospect, 2007 was the year when…
- Several world leaders agreed in principle on the outline of a successor to the Kyoto Protocol
- The G8 nations agreed to target halving global C02 emissions by 2050
- The Vienna Climate Change Talks “concluded… with the agreement on key elements for an effective international response to climate change”
… so the US did end up acknowledging the problem in some way, shape, and form under the previous administration.